Saturday, June 26, 2010

Multiple Myeloma Race for Research 2010

Two Sundays ago, Husband and I participated in the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation Race for Research. I was hoping to post a write-up sooner, but the keeper of the photographs was being a little stingy about sharing with me so I had to wait! Here's our team:

This is the third year that Husband and I have participated in this race. The first year, we walked with my sister-in-law (and our dog Abbie) and between the three of us raised a few hundred dollars. This year, we fielded a team of more than twenty friends and family and together we raised more than $4000! It was a tremendous success!

Every year, one of the members of the MMRF Honorary Board acts as the Master of Ceremonies for the event. Our first year participating, WNBA player Rebecca Lobo attended. The past two years, Ann Curry has participated. This year, Husband's cousin and aunt ended up walking a good portion of the race with her! I never realized that the Master of Ceremonies actually participated! Very cool! This makes me wish even harder that one of these years Keith Olbermann (also an Honorary Board member) will be the Master of Ceremonies - oh how I love him!

Two of our friends from Boston and one of our friends from New York came to join us. The latter brought his six month old daughter who is just a doll. I swear I'm going to steal this baby! We spent the whole day with her and I don't think she cried once! As soon as they arrived, I pounced on the stroller and picked her up to parade her around! At one point, her dad went to the bathroom and I was ready to run off into the night with her, but Husband stopped me! Boo!

Every year, MMRF hosts races all around the country to help raise money and awareness for this rare and incurable form of cancer. For additional information about MMRF Races for Research in your area, visit their website here.

Today's Queen memory is Fat Bottomed Girls. This is a more recent memory and I've written about it before. Back in March, my father-in-law got remarried. We all went down to Florida for a wedding weekend. After the ceremony, we had a reception and one of my new "step-brother-in-laws" was in charge of the music on his iPod. The family found out about my Queen obsession, found this song on his iPod, and gathered in the dance floor singing and dancing! It was tremendously fun and I'll probably think of them every time I hear this song from now on!

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment