Friday, February 11, 2011

Queen Song of the Week: Tie Your Mother Down

Next in the set list of the band's 1982 concert at the Milton Keynes Bowl was Bohemian Rhapsody. Check out my review of that song here. Now, of course, Bohemian Rhapsody on stage is quite different from Bohemian Rhapsody in the studio: the band never performed the entire song on stage until 2002 when RT and Dr. May performed at the Queen's Golden Jubilee.

Following BoRhap, the boys played Tie Your Mother Down...

Video courtesy of queenofficial.

Can I make a confession?

I actually hate this song.

Now, there are few songs that I passionately hate. Takin' Care of Business by Bachman Turner Overdrive is one. Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Milder is another. And then there's Tie Your Mother Down.
Lest I unduly influence any of you, I'll keep my reasons for hating this song to myself and allow you to judge for yourself. I can tell you that many Queen fans not only really like, but love, this song so it's quite possible that I'm completely alone in this opinion.

Tie Your Mother Down was written by Dr. May. It appeared on the band's 1976 album A Day at the Races. The song was released as a single in 1977 and peaked at #31 and #49 on the U.K. and U.S. charts, respectively.

So, there you have it. Take a listen to the song and make up your own mind about it.

Happy Listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment