Friday, May 28, 2010

Queen Song of the Week: Save Me

So this picture makes it look like Queen wants to beat me up (especially RT. It looks like he has red all around his mouth. Blood perhaps? Zoinks!) So in light of that, this week's Queen Song of the Week is Save Me (Oh I do amuse myself!)

Actually I think this is a photograph taken during RT's short lived "goatee phase" during the 1970s. As you can see, it was a bit of a disaster. Luckily, he canned the idea rather quickly and now looks much better with facial hair.  See?
Save Me was written by Dr. May and appeared on the band's 1980 album The Game.The song was released as a single in the U.K. and peaked at #6 on the charts.



This song (along with Don't Stop Me Now) definitely reflects the end of an era for Queen - a move away from the harder rocking multi-tracked songs of the 1970s towards a more pop/radio friendly sound. The song itself is piano based, but then once the chorus starts, all the familiar elements of Queen's 1970s sound kick in and the song really starts to rock.

Personally I prefer the live version to the studio version. Check out Queen playing Save Me on the Queen: Rock Montreal Blu Ray here. In the concert, Dr. May starts off playing piano so Freddie can move around the stage. Freddie takes over midway through the song.

Save Me is the last of the songs that appear on Queen: Greatest Hits that I intend to feature as a song of the week. That means from here on out folks, we're into the real deep cuts only! I've been checking out songs that even I've never heard before and I've got to say, I'm pretty excited about some of them. That's the great thing about Queen: they recorded so many different genres of music, there's something for everyone and you'll never get bored!

Happy Listening!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I am at school and I can post! I love all of your Queen reviews and I am looking forward to the lesser known songs.

    ReplyDelete