Thursday, January 21, 2010

First post - and Away We Go

I might as well start this off with an introduction. Who am I? Why would anybody be interested in reading my blog? Well, I can't answer the second question, but I can certainly attempt to answer the first.

Who am I?

I'm 28 years old. Female. Married. That's the easy stuff.

I'm originally from the South. Not the "deep" South, but well below the Mason Dixon line. If you heard me talk, you'd never guess that I was from the South - I work very hard to not have any trace of an accent. However, if I go back home, it takes about twenty minutes before I lapse into a "y'all" coma. Now I live in New England after a four year stint in NYC.

I'm a lawyer. I work for the government. Here's the thing about my job: coming out of college, if you had asked me to describe my dream job, I would have described my current job. It's great - the perfect balance of court, client contact and writing and research. I am also really passionate about the area of law in which I practice - it's the reason I went to law school in the first place. But as great as all this is, that's also the downside: I'm 28 years old and I have my dream job. Can I do this for the next 40 years? There's no real room for advancement at my current job so where do I go from here? When do I need to start thinking about where do I go from here? I'm 3.5 years into "real life" post-grad school and I'm not quite sure what I should be doing next.

My husband is also a lawyer. He does boring law. He bores me with stories about depositions and summary judgment motions and discovery. *snore* I won't bore you with any of that.

We have two dogs who I will likely discuss here often. A Boston Terrier and mutt. Individually, they are great dogs. Together, they are absolutely and completely insane.

Now to the fun stuff - the purpose of this blog...

I have what some (i.e. DSM-IV) would call an obsessive personality. It has in my life been a source of great amusement to both myself and others. It also hampers fun to a certain extent because there are some things that I could never ever even try for fear of my good ole' obsessive personality taking over. That being the case, it tends to surface with respect to random weird things.

My three current obsessions: running, shopping, and Queen hence: the Princess of Taylor.

I'm particularly pleased with myself for thinking of a rather clever title for my blog. It may seem simple but it is actually very complex.

Princess:

I'm a princess. I'll admit it. I'm very spoiled and have been my whole life. As a child, my dad made me a sandwich every day for lunch. Now my husband does. There's nothing wrong with that.

However, I'm also a running princess. Last March, several friends and I ran the First Annual Disney Princess Half Marathon. We ran it wearing homemade tutus and tiaras. Along the way we stopped and took pictures with every Disney character we passed and at the finish line were presented with Tiara Finisher's Medals.

Finally, Queen, one of the greatest bands of all time. It would be rather presumptuous to call myself Queen after their awesomeness so Princess is an appropriate step down.

Taylor:

Of all the stores at which I shop, I love Ann Taylor the most. I will admit that it is definitely a love-hate relationship. I feud with them incessantly about shipping costs and price adjustments and they make me absolutely crazy sometimes, but I cannot deny that they make absolutely beautiful clothing that occasionally fits me really well.

Anyone who knows anything about Queen (or about me) will know that their drummer is named Roger Taylor and he's my favorite member of the band. I understand that 99% of people reading this will say, "Wait - how is Freddie Mercury not your favorite member of Queen." To you all, I say, "Freddie Mercury was amazing. Possibly the greatest frontman of all time, but watch the Queen Rock Montreal Blu Ray. Watch the performance of "Under Pressure". That's not a backing track singing David Bowie's part - that's Roger Taylor. Oh and he's also playing like a 17 piece drum kit at the same time." Case closed.

So there's my clever little title. I briefly flirted with the idea of being Princess Taylor, but decided that would be confusing and make it sound like either 1) my name is Taylor (which it is not, first or last) or 2) I want my last name to be Taylor (by either marrying Ann or Roger). As the second option would be weird, even for me, I added the "of" and presto, perfection.

I'm sure at some point I'll ramble on about other things on here, but this is a good jumping off point. Sooo away we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment